The Waltham Curling Club had its beginnings when immigrants from Scotland brought the sport of curling with them to the Waltham Township area in the mid 1800’s. Curling began on local ponds and standing water in farm fields frozen by the winter weather. The Club itself was established in 1884. John Currie from Scotland helped to organize the Club when he was here visiting his relatives the Wylie family. When he left, he promised to send over a medal to be played for as an incentive to keep the Club active. He did and we still play for the coveted Currie medal every year.
In 1937, the Club moved to Triumph, Illinois, still curling on natural ice. The ice field was covered by a lean-to shelter and an old chicken house was used as the clubroom. There was a brief period of time from 1917 to 1940 when the Waltham Curling Club coexisted with members of the Ridge Curling Club. There are pins from this club in the Club trophy case testifying to this.
The present building was erected in 1940 and the use of artificial ice came into existence in 1954. With “indoor curling” now available, women began curling under the name of the Waltham Curlerettes in 1955 and mixed curling began at the Waltham Curling Club. The men’s club and the Curlerettes joined together into one club in the 1990’s. Local curling has been attracting more and more interest since curling became an Olympic sport.
For a look at our first 100 years, check out the Waltham Centennial History (1884 - 1984) booklet.